Activities in Bardia
There are a wide variety of ways to explore the park, allowing you to target different animals and birds in different areas. Our guide will discuss recent sightings with you and your own personal interests, and tailor your visits into the park around these. Some of the more popular activities on offer include:
- Jungle walks (half or full day walks from the lodge into the park. You’ll do a lot of walking and hopefully some tiger tracking, but have regular breaks at watch towers and areas the guides know are good for spotting larger animals).
- Elephant safaris(one or two hour safaris into the park in the early morning or late afternoon, mainly targetting rhino sightings) .
- Rafting through the park(one of the best ways to travel through the park, this easy rafting trip starts at the spectacular Karnali bridge and finishes by the Elephant stables. There are swimming opportunities, and you should see a wide variety of the parks wildlife, hopefully including Gangetic dolphins. The tour also includes some short jungle walks and breaks at good wildlife viewing spots. The tour finishes with a fun local ox-cart ride back to the lodge).
- Jungle Drives(explore the park by jeep, allowing you to cover a lot more ground and enjoy some short jungle walks and breaks at well known spotting sites).
- Bird Watchingwalks (morning and afternoon walking tours from the lodge, in surrounding areas and into the park)
- Cycling (a variety of short or full-day cycling tours to visit black buck habitats, and tiny local villages where you can see and learn about the life of the local Tharu community).
- Gharial crocodiles trip(drive from the lodge to see native Gharial crocodiles basking on the river bank. There’s also a great spot under a large bridge en-route to the camp from Nepalgunj where we normally see both Gharial and Mugger crocodiles).
- Tharu culture programme(evening display and explanation of local Tharu dances and culture).
Canoeing Trips (done in calm channels of the Karnali river close to the lodge, we’ll hire dug-out canoes from local families and paddle slowly past the park. Good for birdwatching and seeing local life).
Full details on prices for packages, extra activities and transfers are given on our rates page
These simple packages provide accommodation and meals only, and you can add as many different visits into the park and activities as you wish. You can either book and pay for these activities in advance, or decide while you are at the lodge.
Our activity packages provide all your accommodation, meals, park entry fees and a selection of activities in the park. You can either choose your own preferred activities, or choose one of our suggested set packages that we feel give you the best experience of the park in the time you have available. As some activities (eg. jeep safaris and rafting trips) require a minimum number of participants, your exact daily itinerary will be finalised while you are at the lodge. This also allows you to take into account the location of recent sightings.
3 Days / 2 Nights Standard Package:
pm – Arrive in the lodge sometime today. In the afternoon discover Tharu life and culture with a guided walk from the lodge through neighbouring villages and farmland.
Meals – Dinner.
am – Morning 1-hour Elephant Safari into the park
pm – Guided Jungle Walk (you may either return to the lodge for an early lunch, or take a packed lunch with you into the park).
Meals – Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
am – Early morning bird watching walk outside the park followed by free time to relax or explore the surrounding village.
pm – Departure from Bardia. Various transfer options available.
Meals – Breakfast.